Dogan Hallway

doganIn the beginning, M.W. Dogan Elementary School served African-American students in Marshall beginning with the opening of the school in 1949.

The school was named in honor of Wiley College president, M.W. Dogan. The original building had 10 classrooms, and was built to replace the New Town School that dated back to 1916. Mr. W. J. White, who had been principal at New Town, was the first principal at the new Dogan Elementary but he died before his first term ended.

Price T. Young succeeded White and served Dogan as principal for many years. The school remained in operation through the era of integration until it closed in 1981 during a reorganization of Marshall ISD. The building was sold and is now privately owned, and its location within the “New Town Neighborhood” has historic significance to Marshall’s African-American community.

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2020 Intrado Corporation. All rights reserved.