New Town Hallway

new townNew Town Elementary School was located on the corner of Coe Street and University Avenue in west Marshall, and was built to serve African-American students in the neighborhood at that time.

The school opened in 1911, with Mrs. E.E. Mitchell serving as principal. Mrs. Mitchell was followed by Mrs. D.E. Williams, who served as principal for eight years before W. J. White was appointed the school’s leader in 1920.

The school was a two-story brick building that was quite an upgrade over the churches which had previously doubled as school houses for African-American children. New Town opened with three teachers, but gradually grew into seven teachers serving some 80 to 90 students in those early days.

New Town remained as an educational facility for African-Americans in west Marshall until 1949, when Dogan Elementary opened. At that time, New Town was closed and its students transferred to Dogan.

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2020 Intrado Corporation. All rights reserved.